March 26, 2020
Dear 4-H Families, Volunteers and Supporters:
We know that this is a stressful and confusing time, but as we get more information on the coronavirus outbreak, we are doing everything possible to keep our 4-H members, families and community supporters safe. At the end of the day we are committed to our members and want to keep everyone safe and healthy.
As you may be aware, The Ohio State University announced the suspension of face-to-face instruction and the move to virtual instruction for the remainder of the semester. Events deemed nonessential are postponed between now and at least May 15, 2020 (please note this date has been updated from our original notice due to COVID-19). Activities are encouraged to continue virtually when possible.
Based on these guidelines, all in-person meetings of 4-H clubs, committees, advisory groups, and Extension are postponed or canceled until at least May 15.
Thank you for your patience with your county 4-H staff, the state 4-H office and OSU Extension as we navigate the process. Although this has caused a disruption, 4-H professionals are still working remotely, and many club members are working on their projects. We’re committed to doing our part to help prevent the spread of coronavirus. We also know that when we choose to act together, we can have incredible positive impacts.
Fairfield County club advisors are reaching out to members to begin the enrollment process for 2020. As of right now, we intend to keep our enrollment deadline of May 1st but please stay tuned for updates as it relates to enrollment form deadlines as we approach this date. Clubs are also encouraged to meet virtually during this time. Our office has been temporarily closed as of March 18th however the OSU Extension Staff are available by email and phone. 4-H Project books cannot be purchased or distributed at this time and we will provide an update when this can happen. Thanks again for your cooperation and patience during this challenging time.
Please read through the following date changes as they related to the Fairfield County Extension and 4-H Programs and mark your calendar accordingly.
4-H CLUB GUIDELINES:
- All 4-H Club Meetings need to be virtual (Skype, Google Hangout, etc.) or postponed until May 15, this means NO face to face meetings, programs, or events until at least May 15th.
- As of this time, all Fairfield County 4-H Enrollments are still due May 1st.
- Any 4-H or Junior Fair Forms due May 1st – stay tuned for a way to submit these forms to use online. Forms can also be mailed to the OSU Extension Office at 831 College Avenue, Suite D, Lancaster, OH 43130.
Schedule changes through May 15th:
- POSTPONED March 28/April 25 – Cake Decorating Workshop – Rescheduled Date TBD
- CANCELED March 28 – OSU Jr Swine Day
- CANCELED March 29 – Cloverbud Easter Egg Hunt
- POSTPONED March 30 – Quality Assurance (for advisors)
- VIRTUAL MEETING April 1 – New Volunteer Training (New Advisors watch for an email with details)
- CANCELED April 2-5 – Equine Affaire in Ohio
- CANCELED April 6 – Fashion and Nutrition Board Meeting
- POSTPONED April 7 – 4-H Achievement Banquet – Date TBD
- POSTPONED April 8 – Junior Fair Board Retreat – Date TBD
- VIRTUAL MEETING April 14 – 4-H Endowment Committee Meeting
- VIRTUAL MEETING April 15 – Camp Counselor Training
- POSTPONED April 17 – Spring Horse Clinic - Date TBD
- RESCHEDULED April 18 – Dig into Gardening – Rescheduled for Sat., June 27 at Christ United Methodist Church, Baltimore
- VIRTUAL MEETING April 20 – Junior Leaders Meeting
- POSTPONED April 20, 21, 27, 28 – Slow Cooking, Fast Cooking Series – Date TBD
- VIRTUAL MEETING April 21 – 4-H Horse Advisory Committee
- MEETING April 21 – Senior Fair Board Meeting – check with Leslie for future details (this may very well be VIRTUAL, waiting to hear more from SFO).
- CANCELED April 25 - State 4-H Horse Bowl Contest
- RESCHEDULED April 25 - State 4-H Communications Contest – NEW DATE May 16
- VIRTUAL MEETING April 27 – Camp Counselor Training
- VIRTUAL MEETING April 29 – Junior Fair Board Meeting
- POSTPONED May 3 - QA Makeup Option 1 – Date TBD
- VIRTUAL MEETING May 4 – Camp Counselor Training
- CANCELED May 11 – Fashion and Nutrition Board Meeting
- VIRTUAL MEETING May 12 – 4-H Endowment Committee Meeting
- VIRTUAL MEETING May 13 – Junior Fair Board Meeting
- CANCELED May 14 – In the Garden 2020: Wagnall’s Master Gardener Volunteer Education Series
Future programming will be evaluated as we receive additional information from the state. Programming updates will be announced on our Ohio State – Fairfield County 4-H Facebook page as well as our Events tab on our OSU Extension website (http://fairfield.osu.edu).
For up-to-date information on the coronavirus and how to prevent its spread, please visit:
- Ohio Department of Health:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
All staff members are still available by phone and email (preferred), please refer to the staff contacts for contact information.
OSU Extension Fairfield County